On November 30, the lucky Swiss citizens get to go to the polls and tell the Swiss National Bank what to do about gold. A yes-vote will require the SNB to:
- Increase its gold reserves to 20% of its assets, which may force it to buy 1,500 to 1,700 tons of gold
- Stop selling its gold
- Hold all its gold within the country (rather than in London, and elsewhere).
It will send shock waves through the gold market and will be a game changer for central banks around the world, according to Egon von Greyerz, Founder and Managing Partner of Matterhorn Asset Management, Switzerland, and one of the powers behind the initiative. In this exclusive interview, he discusses the Swiss Gold Referendum and its profound implications. The role of China? It’s a “fascinating game,” he says, of how the “West is losing its gold,” while China is buying gold, taking physical delivery often via Switzerland, and “clearly building up a massive stock of gold.” Watch the video….
Enjoy reading WOLF STREET and want to support it? Using ad blockers – I totally get why – but want to support the site? You can donate. I appreciate it immensely. Click on the beer and iced-tea mug to find out how:
Would you like to be notified via email when WOLF STREET publishes a new article? Sign up here.
Classic Metal Roofing Systems, our sponsor, manufactures beautiful metal shingles:
- A variety of resin-based finishes
- Deep grooves for a high-end natural look
- Maintenance free – will not rust, crack, or rot
- Resists streaking and staining