Apple-FBI Kerfuffle in One Interactive (Now Funny) Timeline

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on RedditPrint this pageEmail this to someone

It’s over. The FBI, likely with the help of one or more hackers that had approached it, figured out how to get into the iPhone of Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the San Bernardino attackers. The FBI now has what it needs:

• The data on Farook’s iPhone
  • A way to get into all iPhones with this version of the operating system.

Problem solved – for the FBI, and it is dropping the case with a short filing that lacked all the details we really wanted to know.

But it’s not over for Apple. Now the iPhone is known to be vulnerable, and there are people in addition to the FBI who know how to hack into it, but Apple doesn’t. So now Apple, probably aware of the delicious irony, is begging the FBI to disclose the vulnerability!

Here is a practically funny interactive timeline by TechCrunch and Graphiq of the kerfuffle. Enjoy while the FBI is busy doing victory laps:

For some time, we’ve heard through the rumor mill that commercial real estate brokers in San Francisco are getting nervous. Then the report on San Francisco’s office market for the fourth quarter was a very mixed bag for the first time since 2009. And now even Fitch Ratings is getting antsy. Read…  It Starts: San Francisco Office Boom Deflates, but Fitch Says It’s “Unlikely to Collapse” this Time

13 comments for “Apple-FBI Kerfuffle in One Interactive (Now Funny) Timeline

1. Paulo
    March 29, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Non I-phone user here, (non cell phone user, too):

It is a delicious irony. Nothing would please me more than if all cell phones could be tracked and hacked, then people would use them realistically.

My wife and I stopped in at our favourite takeout place last week. Speaking of delicious irony, (couldn’t resist the pun, sorry), we watched two young ladies at the window waiting for their order. They were both the same age. One was huge, the other a model. Both were wearing the same clothes…yoga pants and a long shirt. They were facing each other, but unaware of the other’s existence as they tapped away. For 10 minutes they clicked away until their orders were done, and then they left in opposite directions. Not a word was exchanged with anyone, even though people milled about waiting for their food. My wife and I talked about it because they were exactly the same in all ways except for size. It struck us as weird, like Seinfeld’s Bizarro World. Anyway, we ate our food and then proceeded to leave. As I backed our little car out a rummy came from nowhere, pack on the back, worse for wear, looking strung out; all the while face glued to a screen as he fast walked, tapping, stepping behind our moving car when I had to slam on the brakes to keep from splatting him. His face never left the screen nor did he look up. He was unaware he was almost seriously injured. I remarked to my wife that I would like nothing better to do than go postal on the next asshole walking and texting.

Did I mention it was a beautiful day?

Maybe Apple will one day go broke as their phones loser their encryption capabilities? I hope so. maybe one day people will talk to each other again.

• polecat
      March 29, 2016 at 2:17 pm

You’re post reminded me of a book Stephen King put a few years back, called ‘Cell’, where people everywhere were becoming zombies as a result of hearing a peculiar tone on their cell-phone devices……….!!

Perhaps there’s is kind of propitiatory software embedded in all cell-phones to do just that……to make us all stupid and unthinking!

• CrazyCooter
        March 29, 2016 at 6:50 pm

If one is patient enough to watch this YouTube, and it isn’t 100% on your point, it will provide a little background and things will make more sense.

Quote from link: “Our children are living in the most intensely stimulating period in the history of the Earth.”

The quote is from about 4:25 or so.

Human nature is the one constant throughout history – and I can assure you that while you express disdain for the behavior (as do I if I must be honest LOL), if you were young you would be very likely on the other side of the see-saw as it were.

2. Bruce Adlam
    March 29, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Sounds like the FBI is playing silly games again . They would have known they could hack the ph if in fact they have,we will never really know .

• alexaisback
      March 29, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Or the FBI could have kept their mouths shut.

Hacked the phone without any one knowing.
      And now criminals would continue to use it and give up valuable data.

Stupid Stupid FBI. How dumb are they getting ?
      Like the CIA sending drones over Iran, without self destruct mechanism – so the US spends billions and years developing a drone that Iran can reverse engineer in a year.
      The Stupidity is amazing.

• Juergen
      March 30, 2016 at 12:48 am

What about that: Apple finally gave them all the help they were asked for. Apple, thus stuck between a rock and a hard place, made a deal with the CIA and the CIA placed this Version…

3. Kevin Beck
    March 29, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Whatever happened to “the right to be secure in our persons and possessions” from the US Constitution, Amendment 4?

I think I know. We got several people appointed to the Supreme Court who were functionally illiterate.

Now that the joke is over, I just have to ask about the scenario in San Bernardino” Why would the shooters leave this phone in good condition if they stored information about their crime on it?

The shooters took great effort to destroy their personal phones before their crime wave; these were found at their residence during the investigation. Yet they (intentionally?) didn’t destroy his work phone. Were they expecting to live through the entire incident, and anticipating returning his phone to his employer later that week? Or did they want that phone found?

I don’t know what the correct answers are, but I also think the whole plan was to obtain a back-door to the iPhone that they could then market to other investigative agencies around the world. I would be surprised if there is any usable evidence from this device (that doesn’t require the FBI to make up additional evidence to support a future investigation coming from this incident.

4. nick kelly
    March 29, 2016 at 7:30 pm

We all know of crimes including murder solved by police accessing phone records- if a court order can be obtained Apple or anyone else should comply.
    If they had complied without all this drama they wouldn’t have the problem they have now.

5. NoOneOfConsequence
    March 29, 2016 at 11:53 pm

If they had just tried the pass code 1111 to start with…all this could have been avoided.

6. Kam
    March 30, 2016 at 9:07 am

All codes can be cracked. Between saving lives and privacy, in this case saving lives wins.

And yes, consistent with ongoing American Stupidity (Trump is right) our leadership, yet again, has telegraphed to our enemies valuable information that damages the nation.

The greatest historical theft known to man is the transfer of technology to China, no friend of the U.S., for free.

• Petunia
      March 30, 2016 at 2:41 pm

We can all thank Bill and Hillary for that.

7. d
    March 31, 2016 at 9:22 am

Bloomberg let this out of the bag which is really quiet sad, as it tells all the terrorists with iPhone, something we have known for some time IDF/Mossad can access you iphone, and its encryption.

Anywhere anytime.

Just like the numnut terroist lovers (who claim to be journalists) who blew the western union IDF/Mossad operation.

Some people who claim to be Journalist should have been discarded with their afterbirth’s.

8. Oneyedjack
    April 4, 2016 at 6:27 am

I believe any info being fed the public concerning this topic is pure propaganda.I believe the fed, Illuminati, had access from the very beginning.Privacy was an illusion.